An alleged Muslim extremist accused of a suicide bomb plot to assassinate Prime Minister Theresa May outside Number 10 Downing Street appeared in court today.
Naa’imur Zakariyah Rahman, 20, allegedly concocted a plan to storm Downing Street by blowing the front gates with a homemade bomb hidden in a bag.
It is said he planned to arm himself with knives, pepper spray and a suicide vest to kill Mrs May in the ensuing chaos.
Rahman, from North Finchley, appeared in the dock at Westminster magistrates court this morning to face two terrorism charges.
He was joined by Mohammed Aqib Imran, 21, who is accused of planning to flee the UK for Libya to become a jihadi fighter.
It is said Rahman had been supporting Imran’s plans to join Islamic State fighters in Libya.
Prosecutor Mark Carroll told the court: “Rahman planned to detonate an improvised explosive device within a bag at the gates of Downing Street on Whitehall, London and then seek to gain access to No 10 Downing Street in the ensuing chaos with a view to trying to kill the Prime Minister.
“The secondary attack on No 10 was to be carried out with a suicide vest, pepper spray and a knife.
“His purpose was to attack, kill and cause explosions.”
Rahman sported long flowing hair down to his shoulders as he appeared in the dock flanked by guards, speaking only to confirm his identity and to say he is of “Bangladeshi-British” nationality.
Imran also only spoke to confirm his identity and told the court he is “Pakistani-British”.
Chief Magistrate Emma Arbuthnot remanded both men in custody until a hearing at the Old Bailey on December 20.
Rahman, who faces charges of intending to commit acts of terrorism and assisting in the commission of acts of terrorism, and Imran, from Birmingham, who is accused of a single charge of intending to commit acts of terrorism, did not enter any pleas today.