10 gift ideas for the most amazing Mother

Credit: mrsoaroundtheworld.com

I have to confess that I still celebrate Mother’s Day in the first Sunday of May – it is a Southern European thing. But I have to get prepared ahead of time – and buy an appropriate card for my lovely mother in March (which is when the UK celebrates it)… as I won’t be able to find any when I will need it later!

Cultural differences aside, Mother’s Day in the UK is around the corner and if you haven’t done anything about it, I am here to help. Here are my 10 gift ideas for the most amazing Mother.

For the tecchie Mother

My mother has recently turned 70 and I cannot tell you how much she’s embraced technology in the last 5 years – it is incredible to see, and how much more in touch we can be. She may be my biggest fan on Facebook (I may have had to explain that, well, comments should be on the lighter side as 1000s of people do read them), but boy, has she mastered Messenger and FaceTime. And YouTube.

Apple iPhone 7

Costs £599 (Sim-free) from John Lewis or directly from Apple.

apple iphone 7

Please note that if you are UK or USA based, Apple now offers an ‘upgrade‘ programme whereby you can buy your unlocked phone and either spread it across 12 months (interest-free), or over 20 months and get the latest model every 12 months. Worth looking into this.

Apple iPad Air 2

Costs £379  from John Lewis or directly from Apple.

Needless to say, it goes beautifully with the iPhone. I will never forget my mother’s face when she realised that the email, photos, messages and everything else was perfectly synchronised between both devices. My 93-year-old mother in law also got introduced to technology via one of these, and she recently upgraded to a newer one ‘so she could see us better’.

apple ipad air 2

Amazon Echo Smart Speaker

Costs £134 from John Lewis or Amazon (UK) or xx from Amazon US

Alexa is our family favourite and has been a great addition to our kitchen. The first time I say ‘Alexa, set timer in 20 minutes’ in front of someone new, people cannot quite believe it. I do use Alexa as a timer (namely when cooking as you don’t have to touch a thing), but also to add items to shopping list, to listen to Spotify, get the weather updates and what not. We love Alexa (and her answers).

amazon echo alexa speaker

For the prettiest Mothers of all

I think my mother is beautiful and I will do anything she needs me to. Ageing has been kind to her, and I hope it is all in the genes. But have I given to my mother that she was loved so much?

Babyliss Diamond Big Hair Dual Rotating Brush

Costs £56.99 from Amazon UK and John Lewis.

I have featured this brush a few times and why? Because both Mother and I love it. It has been ‘life changing’ to our day to day lives and the best £50 you can ever spend. Sad? Nope. Perfect for travelling or when you are in between blow dries.

babyliss dual big hair salon brush

Molton Brown Dewy Lily of the Valley & Star Anise Gift Set

Costs £69.00 from Molton Brown or John Lewis

We both have a thing for Molton Brown and besides our family scent (which is Orange & Bergamot, aka the ‘old’ Naran Jo), we both loved the Lily of the Valley & Star Anise… namely its cologne. Never ever have people approached me in bathrooms usually (I know, no comment!) and asked me what perfume I was wearing. It is perfect for Spring. And they have a lovely new Spring collection too.

molton brown Dewy Lily of the Valley & Star Anise Favourites Gift Set

Clarins Double Serum and Super Restorative Total Eye Concentrate

Costs £124 from John Lewis (includes extra gift set if purchased before April 1 2017)

Clarins Double Serum and Super Restorative Total Eye Concentrate

For the Mothers who make their house a home

My mother is an interior designer, so if there is someone who knows a thing or three about making their house (we moved over 1o times, as my mother liked ‘to move’) a home is mine. I have inherited many quirks and habits and one of them has always been home fragrance. But I also got her into other things too <div class=

Related Tags

#

Top Stories

United Expands Its Basic Economy No-Frills Service

Like them or not, basic economy fares are here to stay. And United is expanding them throughout its domestic markets. -Grant Martin
  • 2 hours ago
  • 5

Holiday Inn’s New Look Was Designed for the Millennial Mindset

Has "Millennial mindset" just become a euphemism for "smart" and "decent" these days? Either way, it's welcome, especially when it comes to hotel design. -Deanna Ting
  • 49 minutes ago
  • 4

Yellowstone National Park Had a $680 Million Impact on Local Economies

We've had year after year o rising park attendance and spending. What will the Trump years look like for parks? -Jason Clampet
  • 17 hours ago
  • 4

Children’s Summer Vacations Under Attack by Teachers and Legislators in North Carolina

The same state legislators killed hundreds of millions in revenue from events last year because of their anti-LGBT laws, so apparently they've come up with more ways to harm tourism. It's surprising how much a few mistaken lawmakers can hurt the industry. -Jason Clampet
  • 16 hours ago
  • 4

April the Giraffe Becomes Cash Cow for Tiny Zoo and Local Tourism

Does your destination have trouble attracting visitors? There's an easy solution: Have a pregnant giraffe at the ready and livestream the birth. Oh well. -Dennis Schaal
  • 14 hours ago
  • 4
farawayyachtingcharters - Easy Branches
botoxfillerveintheraphyinphuket - Easy Branches

Latest in Travel

Holiday Inn’s New Look Was Designed for the Millennial Mindset

• 49 minutes ago

The Battle for the Future of Airlines Is Still Being Fought Over the Atlantic

For economic reasons, the transatlantic aviation market has been a hotbed of innovation since the first direct flight almost 100 years ago. Building on the foundations set before, the new disrupters believe we are on the verge of a huge change. Will it last? -Patrick Whyte
  • 49 minutes ago

United Expands Its Basic Economy No-Frills Service

• 2 hours ago

Save With Early Bird Tickets to Skift Global Forum NYC

Now's your chance to save on our fourth annual Skift Global Forum. -Rafat Ali
  • 2 hours ago

Google Hotel Ads Is Becoming the Behemoth Everyone Feared

Google has all the tools, including a giant search engine, to make its mark in hotel metasearch and its competitors are starting to really feel it. The only hope for rivals is a hail Mary to regulators — or to focus on being faster and better. -Dennis Schaal
  • 3 hours ago

Overtourism and Artificial Intelligence Spell Trouble for Icelandic Language

We certainly hope that overtourism, which in Iceland requires the import of foreign tourism workers to handle the influx of travelers, doesn't doom the Icelandic language. There's nothing like watching a 'hundslappadrifa' with a bunch of locals talking about it in their native tongue. -Dennis Schaal
  • 12 hours ago

April the Giraffe Becomes Cash Cow for Tiny Zoo and Local Tourism

• 14 hours ago

• 16 hours ago

Yellowstone National Park Had a $680 Million Impact on Local Economies

• 17 hours ago

Extended Stay Serves a New Generation of Travelers and 7 Other Hospitality Trends This Week

These are the hospitality trends we were talking about this week. -Sarah Enelow
  • 18 hours ago

American Airlines’ Response To Its Social Media Moment Came After Learning From United

All the facts aren't known yet about the incident on board the American Airlines flight before it departed San Francisco but there are many lessons to be learned already. At the least, American Airlines' mea culpa came quickly as the carrier obviously learned from United's missteps. -Dennis Schaal
  • 1 day ago

Kayak CEO on Giving Consumers a Choice and 10 Other Digital Trends This Week

These are the digital trends we were talking about this week. -Sarah Enelow
  • 1 day ago